Debbie Jameson is an independent certified Clinical Psychologist registered with the Health Professions Council of South Africa (HPCSA). She specialises in psychological assessment and psychotherapy with individuals, couples, adolescents, families and groups. Debbie assists clients who may be dealing with life challenges to enhance their personal functioning.
“I am committed to working with a wide range of psychological problems that affect individuals, couples, adolescents, families, groups.”
Areas of interest:
- Anxiety and Stress Management
- Depression and Mood disorders
- Suicidal thoughts
- Relationship challenges (Marital / Couples counselling)
- Trauma (domestic violence, sexual assault, hijacking, accidents, robberies etc)
- Substance Abuse
- Grief and Bereavement
- Conflict/ Anger Management
- Adjustment difficulties
- Personal development and growth
“The good life is a process, not a state of being. It is a direction, not a destination.” – Carl Rogers
Debbie considers psychotherapy to be holistic in nature, which takes into account the whole person including their emotional, spiritual and physical environments.
She draws from a number of theories, which may vary according to the client’s individual needs, including: Cognitive Behavioural Therapy; Psychodynamic (TLDP – Time Limited Dynamic Psychotherapy); Solution Focussed Therapy and Narrative Therapy.
Debbie has recently found that BWRT (BrainWorking Recursive Therapy) is a fast-acting and extremely effective way to bring change within the minimum amount of sessions. BWRT speeds up therapy by alleviating the overwhelming, uncomfortable feelings associated with fears, anxiety, memories or events.
What is BWRT? (click for more info)
Her approach for understanding couples in distress is based on Emotionally Focused Therapy (EFT), which helps couples identify stuck patterns of interaction and focuses on promoting more positive emotional responses.
- Debbie holds a Master of Social Science degree in Clinical Psychology from the University of KwaZulu-Natal; a Master of Social Science degree in Health Promotion from the University of KwaZulu-Natal (Cum Laude); a BA Honours degree in Psychology from UNISA (Cum Laude).
- Debbie worked as part of a multidisciplinary team within hospital complexes such as Busamed Hillcrest Private Hospital, King Edward Hospital, King Dinuzulu Hospital, R K Khan Hospital and community health care centres, that offer services to individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- 6 years private practice as a Clinical Psychologist.
- 5 years private practice as a Registered Counsellor.
- 4 years working at the Open Door Crisis Care Centre offering supportive counselling for victims of violent crime.
- 1 year at St Augustines Netcare Hospital offering trauma counselling to victims of sexual assault.
- 2 years with the Red Cross (Air Mercy Services) providing trauma counselling to victims of violent crime in rural areas.
- Facilitating a variety of workshops.